Close this search box.

Rights and Responsibilities

Australian laws protect international students

The Australian Government wants international students to have a rewarding and enjoyable experience when they come to Australia to study. Australia offers high quality education services and protects the rights of international students to ensure you make the most of your time here.

The Australian Government’s Department of Education has published a fact sheet for international students that contains important information about their rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia. This fact sheet contains important information for student visa holders about living and studying in Australia, including your consumer rights and responsibilities as an international student and key things you should know before and during your study.

As a student on a student visa, you benefit from Australian laws that ensure high standards of education, facilities and support services while you are in Australia. You also have rights to information about your course and the education institution you wish to study with before and during your enrolment.  For more information about studying in Australia visit Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) framework and  Study in Australia.

Overseas students’ Rights

Under Australian law overseas students have the right to the following:

  • Receive current and accurate information about the courses, entry requirements, all fees and modes of study from Ironwood Institute and your Ironwood’s agent before you enrol
  • Sign a written agreement with Ironwood Institute before or at the time you pay fees. You do not have to pay the Institute any money or fees until you accept the agreement
  • Seek a refund in certain situations for the course money you have paid. Information about refund arrangements are included in your written agreement
  • Get the education you paid for. The law includes tuition protections that will allow you to be placed in another course or receive a refund of their unspent tuition fees if Ironwood Institute is unable to teach your course (known as a provider default), visit https://tps.gov.au/ for more information.
  • Access complaints and appeals processes of Ironwood Institute and if not satisfied with an outcome, you can take the matter to the Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO)
  • Request to transfer to another institution and have that request assessed by Ironwood Institute if you are not satisfied with the course you are doing at Ironwood and wish to transfer to another education institution registered on CRICOS.  Further information about the impact of changing courses or education institutions is available on the Department Home Affairs website at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/change-in-situation/study-situation
  • Same entitlements to minimum wages and conditions as Australian workers, as well as superannuation and workers’ compensation under Australian workplace laws. Please refer to Fairwork Ombudsman for more information
  • Receive support services from Ironwood Institute at no additional cost to help you adjust to studying and life in Australia, achieve your learning goals and maintain satisfactory progress in your learning. Please refer to Ironwood Student support services for complete details
  • The safe and equitable learning environment at Ironwood Institute

Overseas students responsibilities

As an international student on a student visa, you must:

  • comply with your student visa conditions
  • ensure you have and continue to maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for as long as you stay in Australia on a student visa
  • Inform Ironwood Institute if you change your address or other contact details
  • meet the terms of your written agreement with Ironwood Institute
  • maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance
  • Must not engage in cheating or plagiarism in exams and assessments. Your enrolment or student visa could be affected or cancelled altogether. If you are struggling with your studies, it’s best to ask what support services can be offered to you by Ironwood Institute
  • Follow all other Australian laws (federal, state and local)

If you require more information or have a specific inquiry, please send an email to studentsupport@ironwood.edu.au.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.