Certificate III in Horticulture
The course will be delivered in 52 weeks (one year).
Full-time study for 40 weeks and a break period of 12 weeks between 4 study terms. Each study term is approx. 10 weeks long.
The scheduled contact study per week is 16 hours.
The classes are scheduled per study week for two full days (9 am to 5 pm)
There are also additional 14 hours of self-study scheduled per study week for students.
19/09/2022, 7/10/2022, 13/01/2023, 7/04/2023, 30/06/2023, 22/09/2023
Mode of Delivery
Face to Face.
Location of Delivery
- Ironwood Institute: Level 3, 112-118 Rundle Mall, Adelaide SA 5000
- Adelaide City Council Nursery: War Memorial Dr, North Adelaide SA 5006
- Adelaide Plant Growers: 594 States Road, Onkaparinga Hills SA 5163
- St Laurences Priory: 134 Buxton Street, North Adelaide SA 5006
The Institute does not provide transportation to sites and it is student’s responsibility to get there on time on practical training days either on bus or at their own transport medium.
Ironwood has a minimum level of requirements that students need to meet to enrol in a course(s)
- All students need to be 18 years of age at time of commencement.
- Satisfactory reading, writing, and numeracy skills. If you wish to access subsidised training, you will need to complete the CORE Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA) along with an Upfront Assessment of Needs to ascertain if you are suitable to undertake the training.
If you have a verified disability/medical condition and require additional support please contact Ironwood Admissions or call 08 8227 0300 before applying to discuss your needs. To be eligible for support you must provide medical documentation to verify your disability/medical condition.
Material and Equipment Required
Students can purchase through Ironwood Institute at the cost of AUD 373.00 or can make the items available at their own cost before course commencement.
No occupational licensing, legislative, or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
- Total Units 16
- Core Units 5
- Elective Units 11
Contribute to work health and safety processes (Core)
Provide information on plants and their culture (Core)
Control weeds (Core)
Control plant pests, diseases and disorders (Core)
Implement soil improvements for garden and turf areas (Core)
Prepare growing media (Elective)
Transport and store chemicals (Elective)
Prepare and apply chemicals (Elective)
Troubleshoot irrigation systems (Elective)
Maintain nursery plants (Elective)
Apply Biosecurity measures (Elective)
Implement a propagation plan (Elective)
Implement a plant nutrition program (Elective)
Prepare specialised plants (Elective)
Apply environmentally sustainable work practices (Elective)
Perform specialist amenity pruning (Elective)
For further details about each unit of competency please refer to AHC30716 Certificate III in Horticulture.
Assessment methods include but are not limited to:
Certificate III in Landscape Construction, Certificate III in Arboriculture, Certificate IV in Horticulture, Certificate IV in Sports Turf Management, Certificate IV in Parks and Gardens, Certificate IV in Production Nursery, Diploma of Horticulture.
Job roles and titles vary across different industry sectors. For those with appropriate work experience, knowledge, and skills gained from this Certificate III can help the candidate to take on the following roles which include but not limited to:
(Ironwood Institute does not guarantee an employment outcome, licence, or accreditation at the completion of this qualification).
The cost of a course varies according to eligibility for government subsidies and the type of study. Government subsidies are available to residents of South Australia. Students who are not eligible for any subsidies will pay the full fee rate.
|Fee Type||Administration (AUD)||Learning Resources (AUD)||PPE (AUD)||Tuition (AUD)||Total (AUD)||Payment Plan|
|JobTrainer||-||-||$250||$250||Initial deposit of $250|
|WorkReady||$250||$350||$373||$2,000||$2,973||Initial deposit of $373 and then 5 payments of $520 over 12 months|
|Traineeship||$250||$350||$373||$2,000||$2,973||Initial deposit of $373 and then 5 payments of $520 over 12 months|
|Full Fee||$250||$350||$373||$9,973||$10,946||Initial deposit of $973 then 10 payments of $1,000 over 12 months|
Why Study Horticulture in Adelaide, South Australia
Recognised for its excellence in environmentally clean, safe, and advanced production making Adelaide a key horticulture destination. Ironwood’s horticulture program allows our students to gain the skills and knowledge to become job ready in all sorts of horticultural positions.
- South Australia is a major producer of premium horticulture.
- Technologically advanced and sustainable horticulture is a key focus in South Australia.
- Number one in protected cropping in Australia, with more than 700 hectares of greenhouses with a high number of professional, vertically integrated businesses across the supply chain
- Australia’s number one producer of onions and potatoes
- Home to Australia’s National Almond Centre of Excellence
- Home to the world-leading national Sterile Insect Technology facility
- The Northern Adelaide Plains (NAP) is a key horticulture region of South Australia that lies immediately north of the Adelaide metropolitan area. The NAP produces approximately 198,000 tonnes of fresh produce, generating around 20% of the state’s horticulture production by volume and 33% by value, with a farm gate value of $317 million. The area is renowned for growing premium quality vegetables including tomatoes, cucumbers, capsicums, onions and potatoes. The region employs almost half of SA’s vegetable industry workers including job roles involving :
- broad-acre field vegetable cropping
- tree orchards
- high-technology climate controlled hydroponic systems and
- medium and low-technology poly and shade houses.
For more information visit https://www.northernadelaideplains.com.au/about
Adelaide is Australia’s 1st National Park City and the 2nd globally after London.
Ready to Apply?
Are you interested in this course? If so, please click the Apply Online button. If you would like to know more then contact us today and we will get back to you ASAP.